Chief Development Strategist
Tel: (852) 2358 6934
Office: Rm 4412 (lift 17/18)
Professor Christine Loh, SBS, JP, OBE, Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite, is Chief Development Strategist at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. She was Under Secretary for the Environment in the HKSAR Government (2012-17) and a Member of the Hong Kong Legislative Council (1992-97 and 1998-2000). Loh has been active in public policy and politics since the 1980s. She founded and was the CEO of the non-profit think tank, Civic Exchange (2000-12), and helped to established several non-profit organizations in Hong Kong related to the environment, equal opportunity, arts and culture, as well as human rights.
Professor Loh is currently a board member of the Robert HN Ho Family Foundation, board member of CDP Worldwide, board member of the Global Maritime Forum, member of the BASF Stakeholder Advisory Council, and an Advisor to the WYNG Master Award in photography. She also teaches a course on non-market risks at the Anderson School of Management, University of California at Los Angeles. She is a published author of many academic and popular works. Her expertise in environmental policy is well-known, including advising the World Health Organization and International Energy Agency on issues relating to air pollution and public health. Loh is a lawyer by training, and a commodities trader by profession. She received her legal training in England, and received honorary degrees of Doctor of Law from the University of Hull and Doctor of Science from the University of Exeter.
Environment, History and Politics
Journals, Chapters and Papers
- 陸恭蕙 (2019). 第四章：控制空氣污染改善公眾健康 (43-59頁), 可持續高密度城市發展探索 - 當代香港城市規劃與設計實踐, 中國北京， 中國建築工業出版社. 2019年1月出版，ISBN 978-7-112-22923-9
- 陸恭蕙 (2019). 第五章：廢物革命在香港：2012年起轉“廢”為“能” (60-73頁), 可持續高密度城市發展探索 - 當代香港城市規劃與設計實踐, 中國北京， 中國建築工業出版社. 2019年1月出版，ISBN 978-7-112-22923-9
- Hong Kong in China (Parts, 1, 2 and 3): Christine Loh and Richard Cullen, IPP Review (12 November 2018, 9 December 2018 and 7 January 2019), https://ippreview.com/index.php/Index/author/id/168.html.
- The Roles of Scientific Research and Stakeholder Engagement for Evidence-based Policy Formulation on Shipping Emissions Control in Hong Kong, Yiqi Zhang, Christine Loh, Peter K.K. Louie, Huan Liu and Alexis K.H. Lau, Journal of Environmental Management, Volume 223, 2018, Pages 49-56, ISSN 0301-4797, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.06.008.
- The Green Economy: pushes and pulls on corporate China, Christine Loh, ACCA Publications, London, October 2012.
- CY’s Prescription: How will new chief change Hong Kong?, Christine Loh, CLSA Special Report, May 2012.
- Hong Kong’s participation in the carbon intensity reduction activities and carbon trading pilots in the PRD region, David Lunsford and Christine Loh, Civic Exchange, May 2012.
- Reducing Vessel Emissions – Science, Policy and Engagement in the Hong Kong and Pearl River Delta Region, Veronica Booth and Christine Loh, Civic Exchange April 2012.
- Green Ships & Ports: Navigating the Waters Ahead, Christine Loh, CLSA Bluebooks, November 2011.
- Rich Delta, Costly Flooding, Faith Chan, Christine Loh, Adrian MacDonald, Gordon Mitchell and Olalekan Adekola, Civic Exchange, November 2010.
- Doing enough at COP16, Christine Loh, Civic Exchange, October 2010.
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions: How Hong Kong Compares – Policy Recommendations, Civic Exchange, October 2010.
- Falling-Up! Water pricing must meet true cost, Christine Loh and Guo Peiyuan, CLSA Bluebooks, May 2010.
- Hong Kong’s Role in Mending the Disclosure Gap, Ma Jun, Christine Loh, Wang Jingjing and Wuwei, Civic Exchange and IPE, China, March 2010.
- Copenhagen is not over … What did COP15 mean for the world?, Christine Loh, Civic Exchange, December 2009.
- Liquid Assets: Water Security and Management in the Pearl River Basin and Hong Kong, Dinesh Sadhwani, Jonas Chau, Christine Loh, Mike Kilburn and Andrew Lawson, Civic Exchange, December 2009
- Paying For a Cleaner Bus Fleet: How Government Can Break the Log Jam, Eric Heimark, Helena Lalogianni, Mike Kilburn and Christine Loh, Civic Exchange, November 2009
- Review of Decision-making Processes in Guangdong Infrastructure, Energy and Transport, Christine Loh, Carissa Yuk,Civic Exchange, February 2009
- Climate Change Impacts and Responses in Hong Kong: Vulnerable Environment, Infrastructure and Economy, Green CITYnomics – The Urban War Against Climate Change, Section 2 (53-71), Alexandra Tracy, Andrew Stevenson and Christine Loh, Published by Greenleaf Publishing Limited, 2009
- Hong Kong’s Energy Future – Paper I, Commentary on the Memorandum of Understanding between the National Energy Administration and the Government of HKSAR on Supply of Natural Gas and Electricity to Hong Kong, Christine Loh, October 2008
- Urban Transformers: High-performance Buildings Clean Up, Christine Loh, Andrew Lawson, Jonas Chau, CLSA Blue Books, October 2008
- A Price Too High: The Health Impacts of Air Pollution in Southern China, Christine Loh, Andrew Stevenson, Michele Weldon, Anthony Hedley, Sarah McGhee, Lai Hak-kan, June Chau, Patsy Chau, Wong Chit-ming, Wong Tsz-wai, Simon Ng, Alexis Lau, Civic Exchange, June 2008
- New Generation, Greening Politics and Growing Civil Society - China’s Hong Kong Transformed, Retrospect and Prospects Beyond the First Decade, 2008, 9, (213-232) , Published by City University of Hong Kong Press, 2008
- A Road Map for Regional Emissions Trading in Asia, Asian Business & Management, 2008, 7, (425-444), Christine Loh and Andrew Stevenson, 2008
- Air Pollution: Costs and Paths to a Solution in Hong Kong – Understanding the Connections Among Visibility, Air Pollution, and Health Costs in Pursuit of Accountability, Environmental Justice, and Health Protection, Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 71:544-554, 2008, Anthony J Hedley, Sarah M. McGhee, Bill Barron, Patsy Chau, June Chau, Thuan Q. Thach, Tze-wai Wong, Christine Loh, Chit-ming Wong, 2008
- Green Harbours: Hong Kong & Shenzhen, Veronica Galbraith, Lynne Curry and Christine Loh, Civic Exchange, June 2008
- “Green” House or Greenhouse? Climate Change and The Building Stock of Hong Kong & Macau, Andrew Lawson, Peter Gorer, Christine Loh and Ana Mafalda VilaÇa Botelho and Rui Leão, April 2008
- Climate Change Negotiations: An Asian Stir Fry of Options, Christine Loh, Simon Tay, Andrew Stevenson, Carissa Yuk, Phir Paungmalit, Civic Exchange and Singapore Institute of International Affairs, December 2007
- An Alternative Policy Address: 2007-2008, Civic Exchange, October 2007
- Love thy Neighbour More: Hong Kong and the Pearl River Delta, CLSA Asia Pacific Markets, September 2007
- Relative Significance of Local vs. Regional Sources: Hong Kong’s Air Pollution, Alexis Lau, Andrew Lo, Joy Gray, Zibing Yuan, and Christine Loh, March 2007
- Managing Public Records for Good Governance and Preservation of Collective Memory: The Case for Archival Legislation, Christine Loh, Marcos Van Rafelghem, Jamie C. Graham, March 2007
- The Emissions Game: How Markets Can Help Save the Planet, Christine Loh and Roger Raufer, CLSA Asia Pacific Markets, January 2007
- The Impacts of Climate Change in Hong Kong and the Pearl River Delta, Alexandra Tracy, Kate Trumbull and Christine Loh, Civic Exchange, November 2006
- A New Chance for Political Reform in Hong Kong: One Legislature, Two Chambers?, Civic Exchange, November 2006
- Boomtown to Gloomtown: The Implications of Inaction, CLSA Asia Pacific Markets, September 2006
- Energy Supply and Fuels Supply in Guangdong: Impact on Air Quality in Hong Kong and Guangdong, Civic Exchange, March 2006
- Political Evolution: The Rise of Donald Tsang, CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets, October 2005
- Hong Kong as a World City: Assessing its Attractiveness to Global Talent, Christine Loh and Kee Foong, Civic Exchange, August 2005
- What Is the “Problem” of An Ageing Population?, Civic Exchange, August 2005
- The Air that We Breathe, Christine Loh and Simon Ng, CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets, April 2005
- Applying Sustainability Tools: Exploring Constitutional Development (2003-2004), Civic Exchange, January 2005
- An Alternative Policy Address 2005, Civic Exchange, December 2004
- Cultural clash: Asian political values and human rights, “Do human rights travel?”, British Council, 70th Anniversary 1934-2004 special publication, 2004
- Democracy in Greater China: A Comparative Study, Brown Journal of World Affairs, Summer/Fall 2004, Vol XI, Issue 1
- Societal Governance: NGOs as Catalysts for a Better Society, in Asia’s New Crisis – Renewal Through Total Ethical Management, World Economic Forum, John Wiley & Sons, 2004
- Politics Without Accountability: A Study of the New Principal Officials Accountability System in Hong Kong, Christine Loh and Richard Cullen, San Diego International Law Journal, University of San Diego, Volume 4, 2003
- Love thy neighbour: Hong Kong and Guangdong, CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets, March 2003
- The Budget and Public Finance in Hong Kong, Stephen Brown, Edward Fung, Christine Loh, Kylie Uebergang and Steve Xu, Civic Exchange, February 2003
- Promoting Sustainability Tools: Connecting thinking and dialogue skills, Civic Exchange, January 2003
- Capitalism with Social Justice: The Great Emerging Debate, World Economic Forum, December 2002
- Ports, airports and bureaucrats: Restructuring Hong Kong and Guangdong, CLSA Emerging Markets, October 2002
- Heir to Capitalism with Chinese Characteristics, Recreating Asia: Vision for A New Century, World Economic Forum, 2002
- Accountability with Democracy, Christine Loh and Richard Cullen, co-published by Civic Exchange and National Democratic Institute (USA), September 2002
- Sustainable Transport in Hong Kong: Directions and Opportunities, William Barron, Simon Ng, Christine Loh and Richard Gilbert, Civic Exchange, June 2002
- Hong Kong: The Political Economy of Land, Stephen Brown and Christine Loh, Civic Exchange, June 2003
- A hidden helping hand – Beijing’s post-1997 approach – Hong Kong Political Analysis, CLSA Emerging Markets, 6 December 2001
- Socially Responsible Investment – Hong Kong Research, CLSA Emerging Markets, May 2001
- How the Hong Kong Government makes decisions – Hong Kong Research, CLSA Emerging Markets, 19 September 2000
- The Campaign to Protect Hong Kong’s Harbour – The Maturity of the Waterfront, Aquapolis, Quarterly of the International Center – Cities on Water, September/December 1999, Italy
- Building a Politically Accountable True Meritocracy – Public Administration and Policy: A Hong Kong & Asia-Pacific Journal, Volume 8 Number 2, September 1999
- Hong Kong and Guangdong should join forces on the environment - China 2000, Asia Securities, July 1999
- Human Rights in the First Year – Genuine Restraint or Buying Time? – The Other Hong Kong Report, 1998, The Chinese University Press, 1999
- Article 39 of the Basic Law and Protection of Human Rights in Hong Kong under Chinese Sovereignty: Legal and Policy Issues – Masters of Law thesis, April 1998
- One Country, Two Human Rights Reports – China Rights Forum, Winter 1997-1998
- Hong Kong: A Cultural Crossroads – Harvard Asia Quarterly, Inaugural Issue, Summer 1997
- A Vision for Hong Kong’s Future with Regard to Land Use: Sustainable Urban Living in the 21st Century - Asian Journal of Environmental Management, Hong Kong University Press, Volume 5 Number 1, May 1997
- Countdown – Confronting the challenges Hong Kong will face – Harvard Asia Pacific Review, Winter 1996-1997
- The Commonwealth and Hong Kong – The Round Table, 388 (231-237) 1996
- Human Rights – In a Time Warp? – The Other Hong Kong Report 1996, The Chinese University Press, 1996
- Freedom of Information and Open Meetings: An Agenda for Hong Kong – Hong Kong Public Administration, Volume 4 Number 2, September 1995
- The CCP and the rule of law in Hong Kong – Hong Kong Law Journal, Volume 25, Part 2, 1995
- The Vienna Process and the Importance of Universal Standards in Asia, Human Rights and Chinese Values: Legal, Philosophical and Political Perspectives, edited by Michael C Davis, Oxford University Press, 1995
- A Dissenting View: Report of the ICAC Review Committee – the author was a member of the Hong Kong Government’s ICAC Review Committee to review corruption laws. Her dissenting view on section 30 of the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance was separately published and eventually led to reform of that section, 23 December 1994
- The Political Changes Needed for Basic Environmental Improvement in Hong Kong – Asian Journal of Environmental Management, Hong Kong University Press, Volume Number 2, November 1994
- The Implementation of the Sino-British Joint Declaration – The Other Hong Kong Report 1994, The Chinese University Press, 1994
- The United Nations and Human Rights: The New World Order and the Role of the United Nations – The 12th International Conference in Commemoration of the UN International Day of Peace, Seoul, September 1993
- Section 168A of the Companies Ordinance – A Blunt Sword? – Winston Poon and Christine Loh, Hong Kong Law Journal, Volume 10 Part 3, 1980
- No Third Person: Rewriting the Hong Kong Story, Christine Loh and Richard Cullen, Abbreviated Books (2018).
- Underground Front: The Chinese Communist Party in Hong Kong, Christine Loh, Hong Kong University Press (2010). Second Edition (2018).
- Climate Change Negotiations: Can Asia Change the Game?, Christine Loh, Andrew Stevenson, Simon Tay, Civic Exchange, November 2008
- Idling Engine – Hong Kong’s Environmental Policy in a Ten Year Stall (1997-2007), Bill Leverett, Lisa Hopkinson, Christine Loh and Kate Trumbull, Civic Exchange, July 2007
- From Nowhere to Nowhere: Constitution Development Hong Kong (1997-2007), Christine Loh and Carine Lai, Civic Exchange, June 2007
- Reflections of Leadership: Tung Chee Hwa and Donald Tsang (1997-2007), Christine Loh and Carine Lai, Civic Exchange, June 2007
- Being Here: Shaping A Preferred Future, Christine Loh, SCMP Book, June 2006
- Functional Constituencies: A Unique Feature of the Hong Kong Legislative Councils, Edited and co-authored by Christine Loh and Civic Exchange, Hong Kong University Press, February 2006
- At the Epicentre: Hong Kong and the SARS Outbreak, Edited and co-authored by Christine Loh, Hong Kong University Press, January 2004
- Building Democracy: Creating Good Government for Hong Kong, Edited and co-authored by Christine Loh, Hong Kong University Press, August 2003
- Getting Heard: A Handbook for Hong Kong Citizens, Christine Loh and Civic Exchange, Hong Kong University Press, January 2003